Android Rules Global Smartphone Arena With 81.5 Percent Share

Android-600x360 The market research firm IDC revealed that Android dominated Global smartphone market with a share of 81.5 percent, and was followed  iOS as the runner up. In this race, no other player showed noticeable  performance except Google and Apple.

Despite Apple’s late performance with newly launched iPhones, the  market share of this renowned company dropped to 14.8 percent.  Comparatively, the fourth quarter for iOS was much better as it claimed 19.7 percent!

Together Android and iOS hold 96 percent of market share, and the remaining 4 percent goes into the bag of other competitors which include, Windows Phone and Blackberry OS. According to IDC, there has been progress for Windows Phone and Blackberry as both platforms are losing momentum at a great speed.

Melissa Chau, an IDC analyst said, “Instead of a battle for the third ecosystem after Android and iOS, 2014 instead yielded skirmishes, with Windows Phone edging out BlackBerry, Firefox, Sailfish and the rest, but without any of these platforms making the kind of gains needed to challenge the top two”

It was also mentioned that various platforms are being introduced in the low segment market. Microsoft’s cost effective Lumia, and Tizen rolling India is a good move, but still a lot needs to be done to take on Android in a bigger picture!

In addition to this, IDC also claimed that Android phone makers sold more than one billion handsets of the 1.3 billion delivered globally, and Apple sold 192 million!

Windows Phone on the other hand lost its market share from 3.3 percent and went down to 2.7 percent. Blackberry went to 0.4 percent from 1.9 percent share of 2013! The clear winner in this race is Android, and is sure to continue to its dominance for a long time.

 

  • Share on Tumblr

Comments are closed.